Our office is conveniently located in the Queensland Government Landcentre building at Woolloongabba. For further information see our Contacts page.
Learners are assigned to a mentor who provides tuition on the subjects the learner chooses as well as advice on issues such as safe internet browsing, computer security and maintenance of your computer's operating system.Lessons are conducted in either:
- Your home on your computer
- BSOL's Office on your laptop/portable device or BSOL's computers, or
- a public library on your laptop/portable device or the library's computers.
Tuition in advanced subjects and new digital technology may be provided depending on the availability of qualified mentors. Please note that BSOL does not provide computer training for commercial purposes. Nor do we provide technical support, computer repairs or maintenance.
BSOL hosts a number of special interest groups including a Digital Photography Club, a Video Club, a Mentor Support Club, Linux Support Group and an Apple Computer Group that meet monthly. Members participate in these clubs for free. Free computer presentations are held regularly in various Brisbane public libraries or at our Woolloongabba.Office.
A $20 joining fee and $40 annual membership fee is payable by new learners. This entitles you to up to 12 lessons to meet your learning objectives, plus ongoing support from your mentor via email, telephone or remote access for as long as you are a BSOL member.
BSOL is a fully self-funded organisation with no paid staff. Membership fees are levied to meet our office administration expensesas well as public liability and volunteer workers insurance that we are legally obliged to maintain.
You can join BSOL by either:
- Making application either in person or by phone on 3393 2225 to our Woolloongabba Office during office hours which are 10.00 am to 3.00 pm weekdays. Our friendly office volunteers will answer any questions you may have about BSOL membership.
- Completing our Online Learner Application Form and paying by Visa, MasterCard or PayPal via our secure web page, or
- Downloading the following Learner Application Form and submitting it to our Woolloongabba Office with payment by cheque, credit card or money order.
Volunteer Mentor and Administrative Support Staff Membership
BSOL is fully staffed by volunteers who mentor our learners and meet our administrative support needs. Volunteers join BSOL for free and enjoy complimentary access to our facilities and activities. Visit our membership page for more information and make an application to join.